Battle of the Pop-Ups returns to Starwood Retail Partners (SRP) in 2020. This year, 24 centers will participate in the popular competition that provides four months of rent-free space at each participating property.
Last year, 24 SRP centers asked area retail entrepreneurs to submit plans and concepts, with winners chosen to open at select times during the year.
“We saw some extraordinary entries from local businesses and were thrilled with the results from expanding the competition to many of our centers,” said Catherine Loy, vice president and head of business development for Starwood Retail Partners. “Because of that success, and our belief that we must support our hometown businesses, we’re continuing the Battle of the Pop-Ups for entrepreneurs to operate with us for summer and fall of 2020.”
The contest will be repeated in 2020, with the full list of participants below. Area entrepreneurs may enter their ideas for a chance to win a rent-free space for four months, use of existing mall or store fixtures and free utilities. The winner also receives a $500 merchandising package from the center that includes interior signage, table-printed displays and graphic design services.
Entries can be submitted on the mall’s website, dropped off at the management office or emailed to TheChallenge@StarwoodRetail.com from Wednesday, March 11 through Thursday, April 30. A business license is not required to enter the contest, but winners must obtain a license prior to the lease start date. After an initial screening by mall staff, entries will be submitted to Starwood Retail corporate management in Chicago, where they will be judged on business strategy, concept creativity, and likelihood of profitability, among other criteria.
- Arboretum of South Barrington, South Barrington, Illinois
- Belden Village Mall, Canton, Ohio
- Capital Mall, Olympia, Washington
- Chicago Ridge Mall, Chicago Ridge, Illinois
- Fairlane Town Center, Dearborn, Michigan
- Franklin Park Mall, Toledo, Ohio
- Gateway Mall, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Great Northern Mall, North Olmsted, Ohio
- Kitsap Mall, Silverdale, Washington
- Louis Joliet Mall, Joliet, Illinois
- MacArthur Center, Norfolk, Virginia
- Northlake Mall, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Northridge Mall, Salinas, California
- Parkway Plaza, El Cajon, California
- Plaza West Covina, West Covina, California
- Promenade Bolingbrook, Bolingbrook, Illinois
- Rimrock Mall, Billings, Montana
- Solano Town Center, Fairfield, California
- Southlake Mall, Merrilville, Indiana
- SouthPark Mall, Strongsville, Ohio
- Stony Point Fashion Park, Richmond, Virginia
- The Mall at Partridge Creek, Clinton Township, Michigan
- The Mall at Wellington Green, Wellington, Florida
- The Shops at Willow Bend, Plano, Texas